At a Glance
We work in Dekpor, Ghana where all residents live below the poverty level and face a daily struggle to survive.
Our Areas of Focus:
- Health care
- Sponsorships (children and educators)
One of our directors lives in Dekpor—we are able to work with the residents of Dekpor to best service their needs. Our overhead is minimal (our only expenses are maintaining our domain status, annual financial statements, and foreign exchange costs), so your donation goes exactly where you allocate it! We are volunteers who work hard to make the most of every dollar donated.
Dekpor School Development Organisation is a registered Canadian charity and recognized NGO in Ghana. (Since 2011)
Slideshow presentation (pdf)
2018 Accomplishments (video; 3:46)
We're making a difference!
I am always keen to support DSDO for the super grass roots work that they do. I know that any money donated to DSDO truly goes towards the amazing work that they do in Ghana and is not spent on administration and advertising, quite literally every penny is well spent. As someone who has donated, it is very rewarding to see the great work DSDO is doing and the difference this is making to the community and children in Dekpor.
North Vancouver, British Columbia
There are so many wonderful and worthy charities out there...how do you pick just one? When I learned that 100% of my donation goes to Dekpor, my desire to support DSDO became instantaneous. I am unaware of any other charity like them. When pictures are posted of the Dekpor children’s smiling faces, it simply makes my day. God Bless them all...I wish I could do more.
For a very long time we have been searching for the right charitable organization in Africa. We wanted to be involved with an organization that was transparent, non-denominational, and that was truly making a difference in a community. When we were introduced to Dekpor School Development Organisation, we were immediately struck by the simplicity of what they do and the impact that it has. Every dollar raised goes directly to those who need it. But more than that, these people ASK the community that they serve, what they need. They PARTNER with the community that they serve. And they make true IMPACTFUL CHANGE. Our family has been honoured and privileged to support this wonderful charity, and to be able to see the meaningful and positive changes that have been made in Dekpor.
Joanne McPhail & Jim Graszat
I have absolutely no reservations about sponsoring a student or making a donation to DSDO. I’ve visited Dekpor Basic School 3 times in the last 4 years, including two 6-week stints as a volunteer teacher. In that short time, I've seen firsthand how donated dollars translate directly into bettering the lives of these students. I've witnessed the growth of school facilities (eg. library, computer lab and additional classrooms) and I'm continually impressed with the students' enthusiasm and academic progress. Sadly, still too many children come and leave school hungry.
I wholeheartedly encourage others to sponsor a child or make a donation to DSDO.
It is so rewarding to donate to a smaller charity as even a small amount has such an impact. I was able to see for myself how effectively the money is used and what wonderful changes the whole community benefits from as a result.
When you see the smile on a child's face when he receives a pair of second hand trainers, the first shoes he's ever had, you see what this charity is all about.
East Sussex, England
DSDO has offered us the opportunity to sponsor a child in a true one-to-one relationship that we haven’t seen anywhere else. We view it as a long term relationship that will grow and evolve with the child (and our own children) to adulthood. The change that this small team is able to make for every dollar raised is truly astounding. This is the ultimate grassroots organization!
John and Shauna R.
I had been looking for a way to help in Africa where my employees could know the direct impact of every dollar used. I was introduced to DSDO and it was exactly what we were looking for-- a flow through of funds directly to the people and projects that needed it, and virtually no overhead expense. The passion is infectious and one can't help but be inspired to support this great cause and be appreciative that there are people like this doing the hard work, while all we need to do to support them is give financially. Thank you and keep up the good work, DSDO!
Busch Systems, Barrie, Ontario
I've been to Dekpor. I met with the teachers and students and was inspired by the enthusiasm of both. This is real world in your face positive work to change the destiny of these kids. Teach a child, change their future! I have been fortunate to sponsor a young man from Dekpor. I have seen how going to school has changed this young man and the opportunities that will be available to him on his completion of high school. It is without a doubt one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
Dekpor Basic School is providing hope for hundreds of children. Your money goes to the kids; I wholeheartedly recommend Dekpor School Development Organisation.
When we first visited Dekpor Basic School in 2011, it was a very poor looking area, but Linda and Abraham, who we had met only a few days before, were radiating energy and excitement for this school project. We decided to follow their vision and started to support their work. It was easy to convince our friends in Austria to make donations once we told them all that was going on at Dekpor Basic School and they saw our photos. Even a club like Racketlon Federation Austria has been raising money for DSDO!
Since then, we are proud that our Austrian ‘supporting group’ has sponsored six children! Every year we try to have a meeting with them in Dekpor.
Each time we visit, we enjoy seeing the development of the school and the rest of the community, and it is confirmed that our financial contributions are used in a proper way. It’s so much fun to give the children the items we collect (such as sportswear, shoes, clothing, school supplies, games, and many other things) each time we visit Dekpor.
What can possibly give you a better feeling than a smiling child?
Conny and Edi Schmickl
I am so thrilled to have been able to provide bicycles to 2 beautiful women in Dekpor! Never before have I been able to actually see my donation put to good use. DSDO shares the stories of how our contributions have benefited individuals and the village. My son and I are over the moon seeing Doris and Betha, sporting beautiful smiles, on our former bikes!!! A new and wonderfully fulfilling experience!
Rita Goverde and Erik Lemaire
February 28, 2019
Thanks to the following people for donating to us this month!
- Isabel Barcena and her friends at Dynamix - 4 suitcases, shoes, French work books
- Mona Mirshahi - clothing
- David Kangas - clothing
- Diane Young - sewing notions, supplies, and fabric
- Cheryl Simpkin - large bag of fabric
- Carol and Gillian McCreesh - suitcase, iPad, clothing
- Tracey Ratcliffe - suitcase, first aid kit supplies, assorted goods
February 26, 2019
February 24, 2019
WOW! DSDO friends, you truly are amazing! Over $4000 raised! Thanks to the following people who quickly gave to help John, our Dekpor student diagnosed with Langherans Cell Histiocytosis:
- Rita Forte
- Lynne Brown
- Jackie and Dave Montgomery
- Chris Fitzgerald
- Liz Rivers
- Carol Sheardown
- Liz Clarke
- Paula Lamanna
- Lucy Romyn
- Erich Forler
- Tony Gariepy
- El Goy
- Sue Walters
- Joan Ross
- Riaz Mohammed
- Claudia Da Silva
- Nina Forte
- Helen Rochon
- Gerard Baribeau
- Marissa Lee
- Paul Jenkins
- Julia Fingernagel
- Julie Robertson
- Donna and Ron Jamieson
- Steve Howell
February 20, 2019
February 13-15, 2019
February 9, 2019
February 5, 2019
February 4, 2019
February 3, 2019
February 1, 2019
February 1, 2019
January 31, 2019
Thanks to the following people for donating items this month:
- Max Mayer - clothing
- Dianne Lotto - clothing, running shoes, iPad, soap making goods, beads, DVDs and player, toys, and more
- Deb Uden - suitcases, dictionaries, pens, pencils
- Khalili Zambri and Associates - shoes, bike seat
- Marta McConnell - clothing, running shoes, sheets
- Tracey Ratcliffe - sewing goods, lots of soccer clothes, gym bag, suitcase, first aid supplies, clothing, staplers, and more
- Julie Robertson - running shoes, laptop
- Melodie Robar - cell phone
- Donna and Ron Jamieson - laptop, 2 cell phones
- Dale Smith - medical texts
- Barb Bulloch - iPad
- Lydia Ridd - running shoes
- Ruth White - clothing
- Children's Forest and Ridley Orchard School - assortment of new items from their December holiday drive
January 31, 2019
January 30, 2019
January 29, 2019
January 28, 2019
January 24, 2019
January 24, 2019
January 22, 2019
January 21, 2019
January 17, 2019
January 16, 2019
January 10, 2019
January 6, 2019
December 2018 Wow! We are absolutely thrilled with the number of holiday donations made this year!
- 1895 pairs of underwear, $1325, thanks to: Josie, Joanne, Carol, Ana, EveLyn, Donna, Carol, Ines, Becky, Darlene, ABC Book Club, Louise, Lydia, Kelly, Julie, Dagmara, Ali, Kathy, William, Lauren, Heidi, Nancy, Kim, and Anne!
- 14 multipurpose bowls thanks to: Lorne, Donna, Ines, Darlene
- 48 farming tools thanks to: Peter (40), Ines, Darlene
- 4 mosquito nets thanks to Windfields Middle School
- School Supplies/Teaching Materials: Amanda, Forest Hill Public School
- African-authored books for the library thanks to Lange
- Water supply and Maintenance: Amanda
- Texts thanks to: Diane and Robert, Jason
- 2 students on food programme thanks to: Lizzie, Wendy
- Hygiene supplies for students, thanks to: Quality Integrators Corporation, Ana, Sogut and Derin, Windfields Middle School, Murray and Sandra, Elidia, Rahnuma
- 6 Adult National Health Insurance covered by Windfields Middle School
- Emergency Medical donation thanks to Windfields Middle School
- Excercise books on behalf of the staff of Forest Hills Public School
- Donations toward required tech equipment for our 5 high school students: Edna, Pat, Lynne, Helen, Helen
December 31, 2018
December 31, 2018
December 24, 2018
December 21, 2018
December 20, 2018
December 16, 2018
December 12, 2018
December 11, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 7, 2018
December 7, 2018
December 6, 2018
Thanks to the following people who donated this month:
- Tanya White - clothing and shoes
- Aurora FC (AYSC) - 3 huge bags of soccer clothing
- Marta McConnell - onesies, children's t-shirts, measuring tapes
- Isabel & Ali Afshari - 2 bags of clothing
- Maureen & Regan - kindergarten supplies and books
- Jan Hogg & Karen Lablans - a laptop
- Christian Cordeau - goods for our seamstresses and our soap-makers, clothing, toys
And also a special thanks to Ali Afshari for getting a couple more laptops ready for us.